Skip to main content


Got questions? We’ve got answers for you!

I have been inactive for a few years. Do I have to pay dues for each year I have been away or inactive?

No. You just have to pay a reinstatement fee of $50.00 (CASI only certification) and pay this year’s dues. You may reinstate from the CASI website or call our Head Office and let them know you wish to become an active CASI member again! If you reinstate by November 30th annually the reinstatement fee (only) will be waived. Additionally, you will have the chance to win a free membership if your dues are paid before October 31st annually.

I have been inactive for a number of years. Do I have to retake the level of certification I attained again?

No… once you have passed your certification, it’s yours for life. However, you are required to complete our Online Update workshop. This will give you some of the latest info on teaching methods, riding techniques and general CASI knowledge. You should also consider attending a free Member Session – we offer a number of options for member training opportunities. Please check out the Member Sessions page for more info.

As an Instructor, am I insured to teach privately or as an “Independent”?

No. As a member you are not covered as an independent instructor. Accident / disability insurance is for free riding and for excess limits beyond any other insurance in place at the time (ie., employer’s, homeowner’s, tenant’s etc.). Because of the sensitivity of this issue with area operators, members considering this type of activity should do so only with the approval of the host resort.

Please note that additional coverage should be purchased if you are conducting business as a Snowboard Camp or travelling or independent Snow School.

If my Snow School Director asked me to teach some ski lessons, am I covered?

CASI’s insurance policy only covers CASI members while teaching and riding on a snowboard. If you are skiing, you are not covered under CASI insurance policy.

Do I have any Disability Insurance when I’m working for CASI as an Evaluator?

Yes. All evaluators are covered under their Provincial Workman’s Compensation Board. In addition, CASI also carries some Disability Insurance for their Instructors.

Am I insured to teach outside of Canada?


Am I covered to teach jumps into air bags or to teach snowboarding on revolving ski decks?


I can’t teach this season, but would like to remain active. Do I still have to pay my full membership dues?

You can pay a Supporter Membership fee. As a Supporter member, you can purchase CASI products, continue to receive all correspondence and our CASI news e-blasts. You must contact the Head Office to change your membership status to or from Regular or Supporter.

As a Supporter Member, can I take a CASI Course?

No. You will need to be a regular member to take more courses. Contact our Head Office to change your membership status to “Regular”.

What do I do if I want to start teaching again next year?

Just contact us at the Head Office and we will change your status from Associate to Regular and send you a new invoice.

How do I get the international certification (ISIA) sticker?

Click here for information on the ISIA certification and to see if you qualify.

I got my Level 1 in March and now you’re asking for a dues payment in July. Isn’t my membership good for one year after becoming certified?

When you pass your Level 1 you become certified and enjoy all the rights and privileges of a current CASI member for the remainder of the current season for free. Membership in CASI is from June 1st to May 31st and if you wish to retain your membership and receive all those rights and privileges for another season, you’ll have to pay the current season’s dues.

Tax receipts?

Course receipts: CASI is recognized as an educational institution by Employment and Social Development Canada. Accordingly, you may claim fees paid for your course on your income tax if you are a Canadian citizen, international student or resident.. T2202’s are now available on your member profile under “Tax Receipt” tab. Look for the printer icon “Print Federal Tax Receipt”.

Membership dues receipts: You can claim your Membership Dues on your income tax IF you worked as an instructor during the season in which your dues were paid. Therefore, only Regular members who worked as an instructor can claim. CASI Instructors would fall under section (i) below as per the statute requiring the CASI membership to be maintained in order to be a Snowboard Instructor.

Excerpt from the Income Tax Act applicable to membership dues:
Income from office or employment
8(1)(i) Dues and other expenses of performing duties — amounts paid by the taxpayer in the year as
(i) annual professional membership dues the payment of which was necessary to maintain a professional status recognized by statute.

Evaluators: We do not issue T4’s to evaluators as you are hired as sub-contractors as stated in your Evaluator Contract. You are responsible for keeping track of and reporting any income earned on your Income Tax Return. Should you require assistance in calculating the amount of fees paid for evaluating in a season please contact Head Office. However, if you worked for any of our Regional offices you would need to contact them directly as they keep their own records.

Does CASI offer snowboard coaching courses?

No. Snowboard coaching training in Canada is provided by the CSCP (Canadian Snowboard Coaching Program). Please visit them for more info.

How do I know if I should take an instructor course, or a coaching course?

This really comes down to the students and/or athletes who you will be training. Coaches generally deal with riders who are training for competitive snowboarding at a variety of levels, from entry-level local competition to provincial or national level events. In general, instructors deal with recreational snowboarding, from beginners through to advanced and expert riders. These students may be coming to you as part of a one-time lesson, or as part of a long-term program (weekly, weekends, etc.).

For more information please go to the Canada Snowboard website.